As of January 1st 2022, under MRS Title 25 §2469, the State of Maine will begin to require owners of particular building types to install fuel gas detectors in every room containing an appliance fueled by propane, natural gas, or any liquified petroleum gas. We know you may have some questions and concerns regarding this new rule, so we’ve put together a list of some FAQ which you can find below.
1. What does MRS Title 25 §2469 say?
To summarize, building owners must install at least one fuel gas detector in accordance with the manufacturers requirements, in every room containing an appliance fueled by propane, natural gas, or any liquefied petroleum gas.
To read the full law we recommend visiting mainelegislature.org which you can do so by clicking here.
2. What is a fuel gas detector?
A device that contains both a sensor and alarm, and detects elevations in propane, natural gas, or any liquefied petroleum gas. The device must sound an audible alarm. The device may be hard wired, battery operated, or plugged into an electrical outlet.
3. What buildings does this rule apply to?
- Each unit in any building of multifamily occupancy.
- Fraternity houses.
- Sorority houses.
- Any dormitory affiliated with an educational facility.
- Children’s homes.• Emergency children’s shelters.
- Children’s residential care facilities.
- Shelters for homeless children.
- Any specialized children’s home.
- Any mixed occupancy buildings that contain a dwelling.
- Business occupancies.
- Mercantile occupancies.
- Assembly occupancies.
- Residential rental units
4. When does this rule go into effect?
January 1st, 2022
5. Where can I get one?
Fuel gas detectors are typically available under $50 at most major retailers such as: Home Depot, Walmart, Amazon, and more.
Here are some recommendations:
6. Do I need one for my house?
While it is not required by law to install a fuel gas detector in a private single family residence, we recommend installing one anyway for the following reasons:
• Detectors are readily available at most major retailers.
• Detectors are extremely cost efficient.
• Detectors require very minimal power.
• Detectors are easy to install.
• Detectors are extremely accurate and provide great peace of mind