Does everyone in your family know what to do if they detect or suspect a gas leak?
Should you experience a gas leak, you’ll notice right away that propane has a very unpleasant smell, often reminiscent of: rotten eggs, skunk spray, or a dead animal. This added odorant is just one of many safety features added to your propane system to help keep your home or business safe.
While gas leaks are extremely rare, they always have a chance of occurring and can be dangerous. Take some time to review the following steps and share the information with your family – It’s always best to be prepared.
If you smell a leak, take these steps:
- Put out all smoking materials and other open flames. DO NOT operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones as these could generate a spark or ignition source.
- Get EVERYONE outside of the building and away from the premises.
- If it is safe to do so, turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank. To close the valve, turn it to the right (or clockwise). If you have more than one tank, turn them all off.
- Fabian is here for you 24/7/365. Even if your local office is closed give us a call at (207)-465-2000 to reach an on call representative who can send a service technician to your location. If, for whatever reason you cannot reach us, call 911 or your fire department immediately.
(Remember) Call us from your neighbors house or another safe place away from the property.
- Do not return to your home until we, an emergency responder, or another qualified professional says it’s safe to do so.
- Before you return to using your propane appliances, get your system tested. Getting an inspection from us will ensure your propane system will continue to run safely and efficiently.
Save the following photo to your device for quick access!
As always, if you have questions or concerns about propane for your home or business get in touch with us today! Your safety is our top priority!